Monday, September 22, 2008

Crooks Striker Rises Above the Influence

Editors Note: The following post was taken from and email received by Joanne Breznay and Amber Lovell from their teammate Tony Pappas on Sunday night after an ill fated wine tasting event.

Fellow Souls,

Oh what a fool am I! I spent the afternoon in deep sorrow, I mistakenly believed that I could drown these feelings in the burgundy waters of Crystal City. When I awoke from my folly, face down in a gutter, spooning the very same pink-clad homeless lady we had belittled earlier in the season, I realized the depths into which I had fallen. In the haggard face of my sweet gutterflower I saw a grim shadow of things to come…a worthless existence brimming with aimless wanderlust and failed dreams. Like her I would soon loss my soccer talent to drink and spend the rest of my days ruing the day I choose booze over sport. Pinning over the games I had squandered in my youth that could never be reclaimed. In that blazing moment of epiphany I came to understand the course I must take…

The Crooks are my brotherhood, I know no other family. Soccer is my heart, I know no other lover. I vow to you I will train without fail, I shall score without reservation, and I will lead this team to unknown heights of greatness. To honor the redemption of my soul I have composed these poems to honor my sport and my team. I only wish I could give to you the tear stained originals.

Crooks: A Haiku

Pink blossoms dart by
Bodies take wing into green
Capital Hill Field

History of a Crook: A Diamente

Defeat
Helpless, Horrible
Wearing, Stupefying, Souring,
Opponent, Goal, Crooks, Goal
Up-lifting, Heartening, Inspiring
Dazzling, Fearless
Victory



Your most humble servant and reformed Crook,
Tony Pappas


Editors Note: When asked about this email, Crooks defender Joanne Breznay would only comment “ I have no idea what is wrong with Tony but I am worried – I prefer him drunk.” Amber Lovell went on to add, “his problem with the sauce would explain his lack of commitment to the team this season, now that he is on the straight and narrow he may actually come to a game or two.”

1 comment:

snydertm said...

Best post of the year? Of the blog?

With lines like "The Crooks are my brotherhood, I know no other family. Soccer is my heart, I know no other lover." Who can vote no? Plus, when was the last time we had a haiku?

Bravo, Amber!